A publicity stunt is an unconventional marketing tactic used to draw attention to a product, service, or cause. It is typically carried out in front of the media and involves some type of spectacle or event. Commonly, these are eye-catching events that are intended to generate news coverage of the product or brand.
Publicity stunts can be as simple as having a representative of the brand or product carry out a daring stunt, or they can be as elaborate as hosting a staged event that goes beyond the typical expectations of what a product launch could be. Stunts can be timed to coincide with cultural events, such as a sporting event, an awards show, or a major holiday to piggyback on the hype of the event and thus make an impact.
Why Use Publicity Stunts?
Publicity stunts can help brands to:
1. Engage with their target audiences directly, boosting their engagement and brand endorsement.
2. Enhance brand awareness by using the media to reach a wider audience.
3. Cut through the noise in a crowded marketplace by providing a unique experience and thus obtaining more attention.
4. Generate buzz and make a splash.
Choosing the Right Publicity Stunt
When designing a publicity stunt, it’s important to ensure that the stunt is in line with the values of the brand and is relevant to the product/service. It is also important to consider the audiences who will be affected by the stunt, as some may respond negatively to certain stunts. Additionally, it’s important to note the audience size, as the goal is to reach a wide audience in order to make a lasting impact.
Stunts that are too elaborate, or are designed to go viral without resonating with the targeted consumer groups, may generate some initial coverage but will soon be forgotten and have no long-term effects.
Become a Sales & Marketing Rainmaker
Learn valuable skills to win more customers, grow your business, and increase your profits.
When it comes to selecting the location of the stunt, choosing the right venue is essential. Optimally, it should be a place that is relevant to the message that you are trying to convey, and not be taken lightly. Stunts should be designed so that the respective audience is aware that the event is related to the product/brand in question and that it is not just any random event.
Finally, it is important to plan the event in a way that the media can easily cover it, as having press and media present at the event is essential in order to get the message out.
1. A good publicity stunt should capture the audience’s attention, give a positive impression, and trigger a response in the audience.
2. Ensure that the stunt is relevant to the brand’s core values, strategies and messages.
3. Choose the right venue to make sure that the audience is aware of the product/brand related to the stunt.
4. Organise the event in a way that allows for easy media coverage of the stunt.
5. Plan for any potential risks, such as negative feedback on social media or legal issues due to the stunt.
6. Monitor the response to the stunt and analyse the results.