A point of sale display (POS display) is a marketing tool used to draw attention to a particular product or offer at a store checkout. It can be used to increase a product’s visibility, entice customers, and ultimately increase sales. POS displays generally come in two forms: permanent and temporary.
Permanent POS displays are typically installed in store aisles or checkout stations and consist of shelves, stands, and other structures. These displays are often used to promote new product launches or promote discounts. The structure of permanent displays helps to keep promoted items visible, even when other items are added to the display as well.
Temporary POS displays are made up of a few elements including POS signage, promotional leaflets, product demowall units, and product samples. This type of display is designed to be set up and taken down quickly and easily in different locations throughout the store. Temporary POS displays are generally used to promote promotions or limited-time offers.
When designing their POS displays, businesses should keep a few things in mind:
1. Location: Where the display is placed within the store is key in gaining maximum visibility with customers. Displays should be placed near the checkout, on aisles and shelves, or in high-traffic areas. If a business plans to use a temporary display, then the display’s location should be changed periodically to ensure maximum visibility.
Become a Sales & Marketing Rainmaker
Learn valuable skills to win more customers, grow your business, and increase your profits.
2. Design: A POS display should be eye-catching and engaging. The display should feature bright colors and bold designs to draw attention. Bold designs should be chosen based on the product being promoted or the target audience.
3. Messaging: A POS display should communicate key product information and promotions in an easily understandable way. For example, a display could feature the product’s name along with any discounts or promotions.
4. Make it interactive: To further engage customers, consider making the POS display interactive. This can be done by having customers fill out a survey or questionnaire regarding the product or offering a freebie with each purchase.
5. Additional merchandising items: To further increase in-store visibility, consider adding other merchandising items to the POS display such as product samples, promotional leaflets, and product demonstration units.
In addition to these general guidelines, it’s important to consider the type of POS display needed to effectively promote the product or offer. This will depend on the product itself, the budget, and the target audience. Regardless of which type of POS display is chosen, regularly evaluating and adjusting the display can help to ensure maximum visibility and success.