Landing pages are one of the most important marketing tools available to businesses, offering them an incredible opportunity to convert website visitors into customers, subscribers, or high-value leads. They are dedicated pages of a website that have been designed with the express purpose of capturing user attention and converting them into customers.
When a visitor clicks on an advertisement, they’re directed to a well-designed and targeted landing page. The design of a landing page should encourage action, giving visitors the best possible opportunity to make a purchase, sign up for a free trial, or download content.
In this guide, we’ll look at the fundamentals of creating successful landing pages, and what you need to know to create compelling and effective landing pages that drive conversions for your business.
What Makes a Good Landing Page?
Creating effective and successful landing pages involves many different factors. Some of the key elements that should be considered include:
• A clear and concise headline – The headline should grab the user’s attention and let them know immediately what the landing page is offering, and why they should take action. It should be no more than eight words long, and should focus on the benefit of taking action.
• A clear Call-to-Action (CTA) – A CTA should be short and to the point, inviting a user to take the desired action. It should clearly explain the action that needs to be taken in as few words as possible - ideally only one or two. It’s also important to make the CTA button stand out from the rest of the page so that it’s clear and easily clickable.
• A value proposition – Your value proposition should explain why a customer should choose you over your competitors. Keep it concise and focus on benefits rather than features.
• Supporting copy – Supporting copy should be used to explain more about your product or service offering, and how it can meet the user’s needs. It should highlight any technical information, testimonials or third-party reviews that are needed to convince the user to take action.
• Visual components - Visual components can help to reinforce your message and better engage the user. Images or videos can be used to emphasise the benefit of your product or service offering, and explain how it can solve your customer’s problem.
• A clear form – It’s important to remember that the ultimate goal of your landing page is to convince users to take action. Provide a short form with a limited amount of information required, so visitors can quickly complete the form and take action.
Become a Sales & Marketing Rainmaker
Learn valuable skills to win more customers, grow your business, and increase your profits.
Why is a Landing Page Important?
A well-designed and effective landing page is absolutely crucial in making sure your campaigns are successful. A landing page’s main job is to convert visitors into leads, customers, or subscribers. It’s the page that visitors arrive at after clicking on an advertisement or a link sent in an email, and its key role is to persuade the visitor to take action – whether that’s signing up for a free trial, downloading content, or making a purchase.
Landing pages are an important marketing tool as they allow you to focus on a specific product, service or campaign and provide visitors with a comprehensive overview of the offering. They keep visitors focused on the task at hand – i.e. taking the desired action – and reduce the chances of getting distracted by other content on the page. By keeping the message clear, concise and focused, you can better engage with the user and increase the chances of conversions.
Landing pages are also important in determining the effectiveness of campaigns. You can use them to measure the performance of campaigns, track visitor behaviour and analyse user interactions – all of which can be used to improve the effectiveness of future campaigns.
General Guidelines and Best Practices
When it comes to creating successful landing pages, there are a few general guidelines and best practices to keep in mind.
• Keep it simple – Keep your page simple and avoid adding unnecessary content. Aim for clarity and focus, so that visitors can quickly get an overview of your offering and take action.
• Focus on conversions – The main goal of your landing page should be to convert visitors into customers. Make sure you focus on enticing visitors to take action and make sure the steps you need to take to get there are made easy and simple.
• Use compelling visuals – Visuals can be incredibly effective in engaging users and prompting them to take the desired action. Images, videos and animations can instantly capture a user’s attention and convey your message in an effective manner.
• Focus on design – Landing page design should be simple and intuitive, with clear CTA’s and no distractions. Use colours and fonts that work well together, white space to create a neat and organised look, and focus on creating an inviting and engaging experience.
• A/B testing – A/B testing is incredibly important in ensuring you’re getting the best possible results from your landing pages. Try different variations to find which works best in terms of conversions.