Website curation is the process of tracking, collecting and displaying content from a variety of online sources that are relevant to a specific topic or theme. This content can be presented in multiple formats such as text, images, video, or audio. Curated content can come from a variety of sources, including news websites, blogs, social media platforms, and other websites that are focused on a specific topic. It is important to note that curation can include both human-selected content, as well as automatically-generated lists.
Advantages of website curation
Website curation offers many advantages over traditional methods of content creation. It provides an easy-to-manage way of displaying multiple pieces of content, as well as a way to quickly determine what type of content resonates with your target audience.
Additionally, collecting curated content from multiple sources allows you to create a comprehensive view of the topics and trends in your niche, rather than relying on a single source. This allows you to make well-informed decisions about the topics and products that should appear on your website.
Finally, curating content from a variety of sources allows you to keep your content fresh and up-to-date. This can be especially beneficial when dealing with topics that are constantly changing and evolving.
General Guidelines for Website Curation
Website curation has become an increasingly popular way to present content on a website. However, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind when planning your website curation strategy.
1. Strategically select content. As with all content creation efforts, it is important to strategically select content that will be interesting and beneficial to your site’s visitors. When selecting what content to display, consider factors such as relevance to your site, the content’s age, as well as the preference of your target audience.
2. Focus on quality. Quality should always be the top priority when selecting content for your website. Content that is informative, well-written and engaging will likely be more successful with your site’s visitors.
3. Ensure accuracy. When curating other people’s content, it is important to ensure that the content is accurate and up-to-date. This can help to ensure that the content you are displaying is actually helpful and relevant to your readers.
Become a Sales & Marketing Rainmaker
Learn valuable skills to win more customers, grow your business, and increase your profits.
4. Monitor your sources. To ensure that your content is accurate and up-to-date, it is important to regularly monitor the sources you are using for content. This allows you to quickly pivot and modify your content if a particular source suddenly stops updating their content.
5. Review content regularly. To ensure that the content on your website is up-to-date and relevant, it is important to review the content on your website regularly. This allows you to identify any inaccurate or out-of-date content, and to make any changes or updates that may be necessary.
6. Promote content. One of the most important aspects of website curation is ensuring that your content is being seen. Utilize social media, email, and other marketing channels to get the word out about the content you have curated.
Best Practices for Website Curation
In order to ensure that your website curation efforts are successful, there are a few best practices that you should always keep in mind.
1. Label the content. It is important to clearly display labels and tags for each item of content. This allows your visitors to quickly and easily locate the content most relevant to them.
2. Cite sources. If you are curating other people’s content, it is important to provide a link back to the original source. This allows your visitors to find more information and also helps to ensure that you are giving proper credit to the original creators.
3. Limit the content. Too much content can be overwhelming for visitors. A good rule-of-thumb is to limit the amount of content you curate at any given time to no more than 5-7 pieces.
4. Add your own content. While it is important to curate content from other sources, it is also important to ensure that you are creating and sharing your own content. This allows you to share your own perspective on the topics you are discussing, and to ensure that your website is not solely reliant upon third-party sources.
5. Organise your content. Finally, it is important to make sure that your content is well-organised. This can be done by creating content categories and adding labels that are easy to understand. Additionally, consider adding searchable tags to each item of content, as this can make it easier for your visitors to find the content they are looking for.