Social newsjacking is a marketing technique used to inject a brand or product into trending news or discussions. It is considered a powerful tool with the ability to provide high brand awareness and exposure if done correctly. This strategy is becoming increasingly popular with marketers due to the potential for higher engagement levels and the chance to gain an interested audience quickly.
First off, it’s important to understand what social newsjacking involves. By definition, it is the process of searching for and responding to current newsworthy topics with relevant content in the hopes of achieving increased public recognition. This implies the marketer must respond rapidly to news events or any relevant topics in order to take advantage of the opportunity. Curating content and engaging in conversations or debates are two tactics used by marketers to capitalize on the situation.
When executed properly, the results of social newsjacking can be quite impressive. It gives firms the opportunity to gain visibility as well as have their content shared on various platforms. This can help to raise brand awareness and boost overall marketing efforts. Social newsjacking also helps to establish the company as an authority in a particular topic and may even lead to more quality leads and conversions.
When thinking about social newsjacking, it’s important to understand the general guidelines and best practices. While this technique can be used in a variety of ways, there are certain principles that should be kept in mind:
1. Respond promptly - It’s important to be timely and relevant with any content or response. When a newsworthy subject or event arises, you need to act quickly if you want to capitalize on the situation.
2. Stay relevant - You want to be sure that what you are saying has something to do with the subject being discussed. If it seems out of place, then it won’t be as effective.
3. Monitor - It’s important to be proactive and stay aware of the news. This can help you anticipate potential opportunities that you can use for social newsjacking.
Become a Sales & Marketing Rainmaker
Learn valuable skills to win more customers, grow your business, and increase your profits.
4. Stimulate conversations - Don’t be afraid to ask questions and start a dialogue. This will help increase engagement and provide more potential for increased exposure.
5. Respect others - Social newsjacking can quickly become controversial, so it’s important to stay respectful and not alienate potential customers.
6. Always research - It's important to thoroughly research any topics you plan to use for social newsjacking. Make sure the content you provide is valid and accurate.
7. Consider timing - Timing can be crucial in social newsjacking. If you’re too late, you will miss the opportunity. If you’re too early, you could create a situation where it may not be appropriate to comment.
8. Stay ethical - When something becomes very popular, it can be tempting to post an opinion or statement that goes against the majority. You should always stay within ethical and moral boundaries as unethical behaviour can lead to severe repercussions.
Overall, social newsjacking can be an effective marketing strategy when done correctly. It has the potential to result in increased brand awareness and exposure as well as provide a channel to engage with potential customers. With that being said, it’s important to understand the best practices before engaging in any social newsjacking attempts. If the guidelines are followed, then the results can be quite impressive.