eCommerce SEO is a term used to describe the practice of optimising an online store for search engines. It refers to the practices used to help a website rank higher in search engine rankings for important keywords, generate more organic traffic and ultimately make more sales.
Essentially, eCommerce SEO is a way of making sure an online shop is visible in the online marketplace. It involves a combination of technical and marketing practices designed to improve a site's visibility in the search engine results.
When done properly, eCommerce SEO can help businesses achieve tremendous success online. It is also a great way for brick-and-mortar stores to reach their existing customers, as well as their potential ones.
eCommerce SEO is made up of 4 essential components:
1. Optimising the Website – This involves making sure the site is search engine friendly and the code is written in a way that search engines can read and understand it. This includes making sure all content is properly tagged and formatted, correcting any broken links, and other technical elements.
2. Choosing Keywords – This is where SEO and content marketing intersect. Choosing the right keywords to target is a critical step in optimising an eCommerce site. Doing keyword research first allows businesses to target keywords that customers are actually searching for, and engineering the site's content to rank for those words.
3. Building Authority – This involves building relationships with other websites and building quality backlinks that point back to an online store. The more authoritative sites link to a store, the better it is for the store's ranking in search engine results.
4. Measuring Results – Once the site is optimised and content has been created optimised keywords, it is important to keep track of results. This includes looking at site analytics and tracking keyword performance. This can help businesses identify areas of improvement, as well as potential opportunities for further optimisation.
General Guidelines for eCommerce SEO
Become a Sales & Marketing Rainmaker
Learn valuable skills to win more customers, grow your business, and increase your profits.
• Make sure the website is optimised for search engines
• Do keyword research
• Focus on quality content and make sure it is optimised for search engines
• Build high-quality backlinks from authoritative websites
• Have a strategy in place for tracking progress and monitoring results
Best Practices for eCommerce SEO
• Keep the website design simple and easy to navigate
• Use headers and meta-tags to structure content for search engines
• Utilise image and product descriptions to increase relevancy for keywords
• Create a blog to increase the amount of content on the website and improve visibility
• Optimise the site for mobile devices
• Amplify content through social media
• Monitor website performance and use A/B testing to measure results
eCommerce SEO is a comprehensive digital marketing strategy that can have a tremendous impact on an online business. By following these guidelines and best practices, businesses can move up in search engine rankings, increase website traffic, and ultimately increase sales.